Friday, February 13, 2015

Friday, February 13-Columbia, SC

It has come to my attention that there are still a few that read our blog and are perhaps thinking I have moved to South America. But the truth is, I am still in this time zone, just too busy lately to sit down and write. So as you see, not really a valid excuse. I will try to make up for my lack of posts over the next two weeks. Sharon and I left yesterday morning for the warmer climates of Florida and Alabama. The first week of our trip is recreational followed by a week in Mobile, Alabama building a home for Habitat for Humanity. Today we are in Columbia, SC visiting Congaree National park. Melody Kuhl, retired math teacher and close friend of mine and Andy now resides in Summerville so I called to see if she would like to drive up for the day. We had such a great visit and I'm so happy I thought to give her a call. Sharon and I expanded our culinary tastes when Melody suggested we eat at Taziki's Mediterranean Cafe for lunch. Mel had a grilled chicken gyro while Sharon and I shared the Grilled Beef Tenderloin feast.




After lunch Melody headed back home and Sharon and I drove to downtown Columbia to find the River walk park. So glad we did. It was a beautiful park that followed a canal and the two rivers, the Broad and the Saluda, that converge to form the Congaree. The canal was built in 1819 to transport goods around the impassable rivers that are littered with huge granite boulders that were once the base of the Appalachian mountains before the North American and African tectonic plates collided. The sun came out and the temperature warmed to make our 2 mile walk most pleasant.



this statue of Christopher Columbus was a gift to the city

a mockingbird, not to be confused with the Mockingjay.





there was a flock of these white-throated sparrows along the trail


a pied-bill grebe

a view of the canal, now used as part of the hydroelectric power plant

No comments:

Post a Comment