Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday, April 24 ~Brrrrr, You call this Spring?~

As I type I am shivering and just about ready to go soak in the hot tub until it warms up.  Of course who knows when that might be.  I was so excited when the temperatures reached the 70s and thought that Spring had finally arrived.  Ah, but Mother Nature has a wonderful sense of humor!  Oh, well I have some wonderful spring pics to share that if you view them in front of your fire place or from under your electric blanket, I think you will enjoy.  Keep in mind that I did freeze my fingers getting some of the photos, thoroughly enjoying every moment!
This is the largest of all the woodpeckers (unless you can find an Ivory-billed), A pileated woodpecker

They make distinctive holes that are more rectangle in shape as they excavate trees in search of insects.

I always delight at the return of our Red-headed Woodpecker.  The red is so distinctive next to his black back.
The juveniles have a grey head for a while until they mature


Our best spring surprise is the return of the Red Fox which have had a den under our neighbor's horse barn for the last 3 years.  In the mornings they all come out to play in the sunshine.  I have my spotting scope set up in the living room so Mr. B and I can enjoy all the antics of the 5 young fox kits.  The mom and dad certainly have their hands (paws) full trying to keep them fed.


headed to the woods for a food run!










Last nights catch, looks like a mallard duck

Have a wonderful day!!  We are headed to Cincinnati this afternoon and Mr. B and Matt are going to see the Cubs and Reds play tonight at the Great American Ballpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment