Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Lots of Egg Turning-June 4-6

Fun Fact #3
Vultures have relatively weak legs and feet with blunt talons, though they do have powerful bills.  If a carcass is too stiff for them to rip open, they will wait for another predator to open the flesh before they feed.  This is why vultures are often seen with other carrion-eating animals.
Amelia impatiently waiting for me to leave the area.
 If you click on this photo you can see the blunt talons and her wicked beak

I can't tell if Amelia is bored, sleepy or really upset with me!
On my last memory card switch I put in a new 32 GB card.  Since I am going to be gone for nearly a week to visit Trish for Lily's ballet recital and visit NYC I wanted to make sure there was enough memory just in case the egg hatches.  I did notice today as I logged in all of the photos from Sunday until today that there was a lot of egg turning last night and both adults were checking out the egg with a great deal of interest. Or I could be reading more into their behaviors and it could mean nothing. Tomorrow will be 34 days but documented incubation is thought to be 34-41 days so it could hatch as late as next Wednesday.
Orville checks in this morning at 7:21



And I do believe he gives her a little peck before he takes off a minute later!

3 hours later and Orville is back.



This is a behavior that I had not seen.
 It looks as though both the adults are turning or checking out the eggs



7 minutes later, Orville is gone and she seems to be settling back onto the eggs. 
I plan to wait until late Thursday to change out the memory card.  I don't like to disturb the female especially with the raccoon so close.  Every time the egg is left unguarded it provides opportunity for the raccoon to snatch an easy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment