Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday, January 26-Brrrrrrrrr!

Checking in this afternoon at a balmy 19* and will be cooling fast as the sun, brief as it was, will be setting soon. This last polar blast has not been kind to our old pipes. Thursday night I was doing some dishes before bed and the water just slowly ran out until there was nothing but air. I hurriedly put my boots on, bundled up and grabbed a flashlight and headed out to the pump house. As I uncovered the box surrounding the pump I immediately noticed that the plastic around the pressure switch had melted from the heat lamp. I assumed that was the problem, thinking easy fix, just replace the switch. But äs we all know it is seldom as easy as we would like. The plumber arrived Friday around 2 at which time we noticed 2 broken pipes that were frozen solid. I swear I had not noticed those the night before. We had to break out the heaters and start thawing. The plumber came back around 5 and within 2 hours he had the pipes replaced and the water on. Just in time for Matt, Sara and Evie's arrival. Poor Evie seemed to have a touch of the flu all day Saturday and slept most of the day. And then, after two loads of laundry, I realized that the drain was frozen in the utility room and was running under the carpet and into the crawl space. The good thing is that as long as I don't do any laundry the problem doesn't appear to get worse.
This afternoon as it warmed up, funny how 25 can be seen as warming up, we went outside to play in the snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment