Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Reflection- "I Take Thee" .

Our lives more often than not read like a well written novel, complete with a beginning, a middle, an ending and if the author is lucky, possibly a sequel or two. Within the text there are a few plot twists, a tear jerker or two, disappointment and joy as well as a few surprises along the way.  As I review my life I have been luckier than most,  not as lucky as a few but satisfied none the less..  Of course there have been bumps, detours and a few setbacks on my life's highway but I've always had someone there to pull me up and set me on my way again.  God blessed me with caring parents, a childhood that taught me the value of hard work, a love of the outdoors, wonderful teachers both in school and church, and a multitude of priceless friends.
The Old Home Place where I grew up. Sitting on our Allis-Chalmers complete with a hand clutch

Me and my dog buddy taking feed bags to the barn.

Under the willow tree with my best friend, Buddy.

Dad wouldn't get me a pony, so I'm riding a boar. On the plus side you didn't have far to fall!


I found my soul-mate in college, 2 peas in a pod some would say. Yes, we first met at the salad bar in our college cafeteria.  He was filling his plate, I was replenishing the lettuce.  I remember he winked at me.  Something he would continue and I'm pretty sure he had practiced it on other girls in the past.  He was a smooth talking kid from Jersey loaded with confidence.  I found the confidence a little unsettling and on our first official date I had him drop me at my dorm feigning some excuse of forgetting something and never returned.  Yes, I stood him up on our first date. But like I said, he wasn't one to give up and the rest is history.  As our relationship continued we learned that we had much in common.  We each grew up on farms, loved animals, sports and were both as competitive as hell.  Yes we were a perfect match....well almost.   Perfect, until it was time for him to meet my parents.
Andy's first deer

CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) Basketball,( 5th or 6th grade?)
 So I will say that my parents were polite, they didn't throw him out or anything but as they went down their checklist of what a suitable son in law should be, Andy didn't tick off very many boxes.  You have to understand that my parents, who were farmers, had mid-western values, they were conservative, protestant, didn't smoke or drink, truth be told we didn't even play cards and Andy only checked one box.  He grew up on a farm!  This Catholic farm boy smoked, had long hair and a mustache, drove a VW bug he named Jessibelle and loved to play pinochle! He ticked a lot of boxes only they weren't on my parents list for acceptable suitors.  We married amid silent dissent on Thanksgiving Day, November 23, 1972.  On the upside, Andy's parents loved me.  I will say that it didn't take long for my parents to see that he was a pretty good catch.
Andy with his first car, Jessibelle.

Lincoln Memorial University, Harrogate, Tn.
Our cake and punch reception in the WJUMC church basement.


Andy's mom, Alice and dad, John.

We did practically everything together. We played tennis, badminton, softball, basketball, table tennis and oh, how we each hated to lose!  We built our home together, taught and coached together and raised two of the greatest daughters you could ever imagine. Yes, we spent the majority of our 46 years being together and it wasn't until the last 10 years that things changed.

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment