Sunday, September 2, 2012

Friday, August 31 -Trilogy Sail to Lanai-




Captain Riley, 3rd generation on Trilogy, his grandfather started the business


 Eating the famous "Mama's cinnamon rolls"  They fed us a lot!


My air supply sled, soon to be without the dive flag (read below)
This morning Sharon and I sailed the Trilogy III to Lana'i Island.  We did the all day trip that included the sail from Maui to Lanai, a van tour of the City of Lana'i, beach time to either snorkel, surf, or snuba and a picnic before sailing back to Maui.  The waves were pretty big but Sharon had taken her Bonine and had no trouble at all with motion/sea sickness. (There were several of the passengers hanging over the back of the boat both going over and coming back)  Going over we saw bottle-nose dolphins and a pair of spotted eagle rays.  The crew was fantastic and by the time we landed on Lanai knew everyone on board by name.  When we landed we hopped into vans that took us topside of the island to see Lanai City. The driver was a local woman who talked about the history of the island, their people and the changes that have taken place when Dole pulled out of the pineapple business on the island and the switch was made to tourism.  There are two large Four Seasons Hotels on the island now.  She also explained that the island was recently sold and purchased by someone else so some changes are being made once again.  But she felt they were all very positive.  After the tour we went back to the beach for the activities there.  I had signed up to SNUBA instead of snorkel.  I'm kind of glad I did because the waves were so big at the beach that I think I would have felt uncomfortable that far out by myself.  The snuba experience was a lot of fun even though I didn't feel that I could go too deep because I was still having a little discomfort in my ears.  The water was a little cloudy but the reef was really beautiful and we did see quite a few fish.  When it was time to come in I did get flattened by a big wave.  Frank, our instructor said it look clear so we were swimming in when Carrie yelled from the shore to swim back out.  Frank and Angie made it over the crest of the wave but try as I did,  I found myself on shore, after a few tumbles, clinging to the dive flag from the air raft that I had been holding on to.  Carrie fished me out of the surf, I showered and was soon eating some of the best barbecued chicken  ever.  The crew did all of the cooking and serving and when the meal was finished we were back on the Trilogy heading to Maui.  It was a wonderful way to spend 8 hours and if you ever sail I would highly recommend www.sailtrilogy  for a fantastic family oriented day with a crew that operates with family values.
My instructor, Frank














Setting sail on the way back!



Sunset at Maui

No comments:

Post a Comment