Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thursday, September 20

Delaware County Fair

Upfront Secret w/driver Corey Callahan

And they're off

We had a pleasant surprise on Tuesday.  Trish, Chad and the kids came back to Ohio for the Little Brown Jug.  Chad bought a horse 3 weeks ago while we were in Hawaii and it was staked to the Brown Jug so they decided to take a chance and enter her in the Jugette.  Andy and I went up on Wednesday for the race and it was good to get out and enjoy the fair atmosphere but as the kids expected, the horse, Upfront Secret, did not place in the top 4 which would have qualified her to race again later in the afternoon.
Today, Peg and I took the kids to the Boonshoft Discovery Museum in Dayton.  I have heard about it and I knew that our otter pups from two years ago were sent there but that was all I knew.  I googled directions and we headed down around noon.  If you have young children and want to give them a smaller COSI experience with a lot fewer children, this is the place to go.  We thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and were pleasantly surprised at the number of animals that were in their exhibit.  We watched the otters being fed and also saw the small burrowing owl eat his mouse.  Peg was mortified, Lily was not happy either but Luke thought it was pretty cool.  I tried to tell Lily that the owl was just kissing the mouse but she was a little too smart for that one and promply said, "no, Gammaw, eat!"  I thought it was pretty cool as well.  Lily's favorite was the meercat.  It was a very nice day and I am so thankful that Peg and I get to share all of these experiences together.  She is such a wonderful person and I am constantly amazed at how she interacts with the kids.  You can tell she was an elementary teacher, she has the patience of a saint.
Standing in front of the Boonshoft Discovery Museum


Astronaut Lily


Watching the keeper feed the 3 boy otters

The hungry burrowing owl getting ready to pounce

Getting ready to kiss the mouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment