Saturday, October 13, 2012

Friday, October 12

Breakfast Stop!  Biscuits and Gravy





Giant Chopper, photos by donation

Happy Birthday Luke!!  It is hard to believe that Luke is 5 years old today!  He was not very happy that I had to come to a wedding when he was having his birthday party. (even though we had a party when I was out a week ago and this party is for his school friends) He did get his package that I sent so he called, said thank you and didn't seem to remember that he had needed me to be at his party.
I slept so good last night and didn't wake until almost 7:30.  I had planned to build a fire and fix breakfast after I took a short walk, but breakfast and the walk went out the window when it looked like rain.  I packed the tent amid a few mountain sprinkles and decided to have breakfast down the road a bit.  Huey, the dog, came to visit while I was picking up camp, we said our good byes and I was on the road again.  I had never been in this part of North Carolina before so it was quite a treat to drive through the Nantahala Gorge this morning.  I knew I was not going to make very good time after my third stop to snap photos of the river rapids and the beautiful autumn leaves.  I stopped for breakfast at the Nantahala Adventure Outfitters where there was a restaurant sitting practically right on the river.  While I ate, I watched as excited people of all ages, waited to be fitted with life vests and loaded on the shuttle buses for their rafting adventure. I had decided that I would take my time today and stop at anything that seemed interesting. That included 3 stops to see the river, one stop to take a picture of a motor cycle, a chopper with a skull on top, for Luke, and a stop at Vogle State Park to take a hike.  The chopper was at a Harley shop and the sign by the bike said "Photos taken must donate to breast cancer awareness".  This was funny only because, when I entered the store and asked about making my donation, he pointed to a manikin and said to put the money in her boobs.  They had made slots in the manikin's breasts to collect the money.  Of course, I didn't have my camera to take a picture of that and would have felt I had to give an extra donation if I did!  My hiking adventure took on a life of it's own as well.  I had to pay a $5 parking fee and instead of the 1 mile hike that I had originally decided on, I opted at the last minute for the green trail, Bear Hair Trail, that was a 3 mile loop.  What I didn't know was that it was 1 mile to the trail head!  So I walked a very strenuous 4.2 miles up and over Blood Mountain.  It was beautiful, each and every of the many times I stopped to catch my breath.  No need for bear bells, as my breathing could be heard for over a mile, I am quite sure!  The hike put me about an hour and a half behind my estimated time of arrival but about 40 minutes after I collapsed into my car, I arrived at the cabin where we are staying during the wedding.  The rehearsal dinner was at the club house at a nearby golf course country club.  The meal was fabulous and it was nice to see all of Amy's new extended family members and their friends.  Back at the cabin and 3 advil later, I fall into bed!
I felt like I had walked 3 miles when I got to this sign!

Putting on a brave face



Our home during the wedding weekend

Bob and Ramona relaxing before the rehearsal dinner


Judy, Amy (the bride to be) and her brother Matt

Judy and her friend, Cindy
Bryan (the groom to be) and his dad, Larry

Amy with her mother in law, Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment