Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday, February 3

Well, it was not the news Mr. Bichler wanted to hear but we understand the reasoning. Discharge date has been moved until next Wednesday, Feb. 11. Hopefully, several things will occur during these extra days. First, the food peg that is in Mr. Bichler's stomach will be removed. It was inserted while he was in the surgical intensive care unit and unable to eat. Most importantly, with all of the progress that he is making there is still more improvement that can be made. They also want both of us to be equipped to handle the challenges once Mr. B does get home. One thing that we will do is to spend several nights in the apartment. The apartment is set up downstairs in Dodd Hall and includes a small kitchen, living area, bathroom and bedroom with a regular bed. We will be able to cook our own meals, watch TV, sleep and generally get an idea of what it will be like when we get home, such as safety issues, dispensing medications, ect. Kind of like playing house with supervision. There is a call button in the room if we would need medical assistance or answers to any questions. Mr. Bichler is already planning his menu for our first meal, potato pancakes, sausage, sauerkraut, apple sauce and peach jelly. It's our New Year's dinner that we didn't get to have. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

4 comments:

  1. even tho it is a little longer that still sounds great! i cant wait to see him again! [: he is always in my thoughts ((and my family's))

    Love
    Malissa Dailey [:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andy and Carol!
    I had to catch up reading the blog - my classes have been crazy busy! I am so glad to hear that you are thriving and doing so well. A few more days is nothing compared with the challenges that you have faced and conquered so far! I'm not surprised that you have received so many cards and letters - you are so loved! You are in our prayers each and every day and in our thoughts always. Continue to work hard - it will all pay off. We love you!!
    The Berrys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy & Carol,
    I just recently heard about Andy's fall and just got on your blog tonight. I'm so glad it's available so I could catch up on all you've been through. You both are doing wonderfully, and my thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you. You're two great people that were always there for me when I needed you, and that's something a person never forgets. Andy, remember when I needed a washer, and one appeared (noisily) in my driveway one night???? I am sure that I am just one of many people who have been touched by your kindness. God bless you always. I'll try to do better at keeping in touch. I love all the photos especially of little Luke - glad the girls are doing well. Zach & Spencer say "hi" as well.
    Love,
    Deb Kocher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Carol, I love reading your blogs and getting caught up on how uncle Andy is doing. My dad has been also updating me. I love to hear that he still his sense of humor and still has everyone doing a lot of work for him. Also that he still has those German food cravings. Boy if he isn't like his father.It has been great to read about all the support and love you and uncle Andy are receiving. Not that it is shocking knowing how wonderful the two of you are. Tell uncle Andy I said hello and I love him. You take care of yourself and please let me know if I can do anything for you. I'll be in touch and would love to plan a trip out there in the near future to see you guys.
    Love you,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete