Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday, May 19

A Yellow-Throated Warbler, a new bird at my feeder and has a lovely song.

A Chipping Sparrow, I think this is one of my favorite regular visitors to my feeders

The American Goldfinch, we called them "wild canaries" when I was growing up, is a regular at my thistle feeder.

Wow, only 1 month until we leave on our Alaska trip. I don't know about the rest of the group but I am really excited. Our group this time includes our friend Sharon who travels with us on a regular basis and Barb, who will learn that vacations aren't for relaxing but for exploring. We are doing some really cool things this trip that we haven't done on our previous travels. I booked with my travel agent, Wigi Tozzi, who is located in Anchorage at Alaska Vacation Store. http://www.alaskavacationstore.com/ Included in the itinerary is a visit to Anatuvuk Pass, an Eskimo village, above the Arctic Circle in Gates of the Arctic National Park, a 3 night stay at Ma Johnson's Hotel in McCarthy, in the heart of the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, a 1/2 day Glacier Hike, a tour of the Kennicott Copper Mine and on our last days, a Bear/Wildlife viewing tour in Katmai National Park. Most of our stay will be at Bed & Breakfast lodging. I used to think I would never like staying at a B & B, but after Mr B booked our first trip to Alaska and we stayed at a few, I have changed my opinion. I am looking forward to some serious bird watching while we are in Fairbanks, Valdez and Homer. I hope the birds and the weather comply. Although, our creek is running right through our yard now, and has for the past 6 weeks, my feeding stations have been teaming with migratory birds, many that I have never seen at my feeder. Have a happy Thursday, Friday is almost here and the weekend is supposed to be dry and sunny. Funny thing, last night they were saying that it is warmer in Anchorage, Alaska this week than it has been here in Ohio!

No comments:

Post a Comment