Thursday, March 8, 2012

Midnight Musings

Gazing up into the midnight sky.

Don't even ask why I am still up at midnight because I really don't know. For two days I have been up at 5 a.m. to get to the zoo and prepare the aviary diet. I just took Molly out for her 11 p.m. potty walk and it was so pretty out. The full moon is so bright that there were shadows stretching across the yard that reminded me of the Christmas story, T'was the Night Before Christmas when the father springs out of bed and looks out the window to the lawn below, minus the snow. As Molly and I headed out into the pasture I noticed she was intently staring at the top of the hill near the pasture fence. After my eyes finally adjusted I could make out the silouette of a deer. We began walking and I noticed a second figure turning and then in an instant both figures appeared to leap straight into the air, clear the fence and disappear over the crest of the hill. There is something about walking late at night that I find very relaxing. The clouds tonight were sailing across the blackened sky at a pretty good clip and the moon was playing peek a boo like a child playing with the light switch. To the real reason I am still awake, I made a cup of hot chocolate and sat in the hot tub for about 30 minutes. I watched the clouds drifting to the east and I imagine that they are actually the precurser of the rains that are coming in tomorrow. As I closed up the hot tub I could hear a Killdeer high up in the clouds. A lot of people, including myself until recently, don't realize how many of our birds migrate at night. It is very eerie hearing that sound coming from the heavens. I will now try to get some sleep. Sweet dreams to everyone and a safe journey to our bird friends.

On a side note, Lily's MIBG scan has been postponed for 2 weeks because she has a cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment