Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday, February 11

All of the usual suspects.


Many people don't like this non-native House Sparrow but you can always count on seeing one anywhere you find people. They seem to like us.


An American Goldfinch in his winter olive-green feathers.


The Junco, also known as a "Snow Bird". Summering in the boreal forests of Canada, they think Ohio is their Florida.


The Downy Woodpecker.


Mourning Dove


One of our noisy Blue Jays.


A cute little Carolina Chickadee.


The male Northern Cardinal.


And this is the female Cardinal.


Another shot of the female cardinal.


Not one of my favorite feeder birds. The European starling is considered an invasive species.


A House Finch.


This is one of my favorites, a White-throated Sparrow.


I must say, I just love snow! Last night when I took Molly out around 10:30 it was absolutely pristine. Even with the clouds, the moon was reflecting off the blanket of snow with long purplish shawdows stretching out from the trees in the pasture. We caught a glimpse of about 4 deer gracefully gliding up the hill and out of sight. If it hadn't been so doggone cold out we could have stayed out all night it was that pretty and peaceful. This morning was no less beautiful and I found myself watching the birds at my feeders for about an hour. I saw no less than 14 species in that short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment