Saturday, May 26, 2012

Saturday, May 26

 We have two families of geese that visit our yard.  They each have 4 goslings at last count. I know, you are saying we don't need any more Canada geese.  Our geese, however, are migratory geese.  They do not stay here all year.  At least that is what I tell myself, plus the little ones are pretty cute.

 And this is the Red-headed woodpecker.  One of my very favorite woodpeckers.

Whoa, was it ever hot today!  Here at the house Mr. B said it was 96. At the zoo where I was working it seemed to be about 106. I don't usually work on weekends but I have been trying to get my required hours in for the contact areas that I trained for.  They include the kangaroo walkabout, lorikeets and the Asia aviary.  This morning I did a pronghorn watch from 9-11.  Then at 12, I went to work in the Walkabout.  The kangaroos were not moving due to the heat so the two hours seemed to drag by. When I finished, I had to hurry over to the aviary in Asia Quest.  The aviary just opened this week and it was the first time I have worked there since they added the changes. They have added a viewing glass for those who do not wish to go through the aviary but would like to see some of what is in there.  The collection includes some of the pheasants from before, 3 small deer, cattle egrets, magpie geese and a variety of songbirds native to Asia.  The pheasants have not been placed in there yet but the Muntjac, the smallest species of deer were quite popular.  My favorites were the laughing thrushes.  The heat did not keep people away from the zoo.  I was surprised at how many were there.  As I left, I noticed that Zoombezi Bay was packed as well.  I hope everyone enjoys their weekend.  Stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment