Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunday, May 20



 Four generations, Grandma, Grandma Great, Evelyn and Sara
Sara and Evelyn with Katie and Will.

This entire week has been pretty hectic but yesterday was the busiest yet. I think I overextended myself just a bit. We have been wanting to have a yard sale to get rid of our old furniture and many of the items that I cleared out when we were having our smoke damaged rooms cleaned and repainted.  What I didn't think of was how busy I was going to be.  I had been asked to speak at the Lutheran church about volunteer opportunities and we had a retirement party to go to in the evening.  In between I was trying to sell VHS tapes and vintage square dance clothing, neither of which seem to be in huge demand.  We did manage to sell some of our larger items, the couch and lift chair and I think we have a buyer for Gary's convertible which made the sale pretty successful.  The highlight of the day had to be the surprise retirement party for our friend Sharon.  The surprise element was a success and even though Sharon hates to be in the spot light, she was thrust into it and I must admit that she handled it very good.  She gave a wonderful impromptu thank you speech.  The room was filled with family, friends and colleagues from the three schools where Sharon taught.  The room was filled love and warm wishes  for a well deserved retirement.  To help her ride off into the sunset, so to speak, she was given a bicycle to get her started on her many adventures.  We wish her the best and certainly hope we will be sharing in some of those travel adventures.
 Hey Sharon, surprise.  And we know know how much you love surprises!

Today Trish and Lily flew home for a few days before Sara, Matt and Evelyn go back home. They even agreed to go with me this afternoon for a handbell concert.  Our handbell choir was invited to play with 2 other choirs at the St. Paul's Lutheran church in New Rome.  Afterwards we enjoyed dinner at Caraba's.  Busy or not, it is really nice having the girls here with Evelyn and Lily.  Luke on the other hand is not very happy about being left behind to go to school. Grandma is a little disappointed that he had to stay behind, too.  Tomorrow is our last day before they all head back home on Tuesday.  I'm sure we will fill the time with some great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment