Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Monday, May 28


 This little guy was singing up a storm.  He is an eastern kingbird
 These tree swallows had a nest in the wood duck nesting box
 This is the female, tending the nest
 I saw several of these female red-winged blackbirds scampering among the lily pads looking for insects.
 Even the turtles came up to say hello
 I can't find my field guide to identify this dragonfly.

 This was one of many carp that were constantly churning the waters.
 And here was the find of the day, a pair of sandhill cranes.  Probably just passing through as they don't normally nest this far south.

This morning I gave myself an early birthday present by going kayaking.  I drove over to Madison Lake and got there around 7 a.m.  As I pulled up to the boat ramp I realized that I was a late comer because there were quite a few boats already out on the water.  All of the boats I saw were bass boats and I was the only kayak as far as I could see.  The paddling was easy as the lake was as smooth as glass.  A great blue heron was the first bird I saw but he certainly wasn't the only one.  I took my time paddling along the edge of the lake listening for anything chirping or singing.  For a long time the only thing I could hear were the carp thrashing around in the shallow water.  Finally I found an Eastern Kingbird and several Great Crested Flycatchers in some willows on a small island in the center of the lake. I lazily made my way on  up to where Deer Creek empties into the lake and kept paddling for another 40 minutes until I could not easily make it due to the narrowness of the creek.  Once I turned around I went pretty quickly until I got back to the lake and realized that the wind was now blowing right into my face.  I kept a pretty steady pace, stopping to rest at each of the islands.  I saw a wood duck with a new brood of ducklings but I didn't get a photo because the mother quickly scooted them into the underbrush before I could get turned around or get my camera.  However, by a stroke of luck, while I was sitting and waiting (hoping) the baby ducks would come back out, I heard a strange throaty sound.  The sound was coming from the far end of the island so I let the kayak quietly drift forward hoping to get a look at what was making the sounds.  To my delight there was a pair of sandhill cranes about 20 feet from me.  I was able to get several great pictures before they moved farther away.  I pulled up onto the boat ramp 4 hours after I had started feeling pretty good about my morning.  I think I need to do this more often.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mrs. B,
    We do not know each other, but I feel like I know a little more about you & your family thru reading your blog. It is very nice. I also have a TBI, spent time at Dodd, and can relate to many of the things you have wrote about. Although my situation is very different from Mr. B's, just as every brain(injury) is defferent, there are still many similarities that exist. I was injured in a motor vehicle accident in 2005 that left me with a burst fracture to my L3 vertebrae,ruptured diaghragm (that allowed my stomach to rush up, collapse my lung & stop my heart for a sec), a broken hand some broken toes and of course, a TBI. My daughter was only 10yrs old at the time. I wish there was a way of expressing the gratitude I have for my most wonderful family, who became caregivers to me - & for my daughter, who just turned 18yrs & graduated, I am eternally grateful & blessed. You sound like a wonderful lady, who is also an awesome caregiver. I wish there was more information available to people like my daughter - her & my role's reversed after the accident. I would give anything to go back, change that & allow her to just be a kid & me take care of her like I used to, but it is what it is. I just feel that she has endured more suffering & pain from this than anyone involved. Yet she has continued to be the number one caregiver, still. And with very little complaining. My hats off to you! I have wanted to start a blog myself, but I am still learning about this. I hope you & your family have a terrific summer!

    ReplyDelete