Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday, October 7

These little guys are so much fun to watch. I just hope they stay out of our house!





I can remember as a kid this lake was a very busy place. Today I only saw one other boater and 2 fishermen at the 665 bridge.

No wind as you can see by the glassy surface, but it picked up a little by the time I headed back

The bike path as it crosses over Deer Creek. I should have turned around here but I kept going

Do I look tired? I was, a little but I felt great!

Today I decided to head over to Madison Lake with my kayak and enjoy the beautiful autumn day. I actually wanted to get ready for my birding by kayak trip that I'm taking tomorrow at Twin Lakes in Powell, Ohio with the Columbus Audubon. It may turn out to be an unwise move on my part because I may not be able to paddle tomorrow. It was so pretty when I got to the lake that I just kept paddling even when I got to Deer Creek I wanted to get to the next bend to see what was there. I followed several wood ducks for a long while and finally decided I better turn back. Paddling back was a little more difficult. First I was starting to get tired and the sun was shining directly in my eyes and the wind had changed directions and was blowing against me. However, knowing that I had no where to be I just took my time. I saw lots of double-crested cormorants and Great blue herons, several belted kingfishers, a hairy woodpecker and the wood ducks. There were also Canada geese, go figure, red-wing blackbirds, grackles, a song sparrow and I think I saw a Henslow sparrow. I heard a flicker woodpecker and a great crested flycatcher. Oh, and I saw 2 turtles and 2 fishermen. A very relaxing time.

As I write this I am watching some baby red squirrels that came out of their nest just a few days ago. They are so cute. They move so fast that I can't get a good count on how many there are but I think at least 4, maybe 5. Have a great week end everyone and Go Bucks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment